This page describes the junction station at Luffenham and the line on either side of it.

BETWEEN PILTON SIDINGS AND LUFFENHAM THE LINE CROSSES SEVERAL ROADS ON OVERBRIDGES:


BRIDGE 1

THESE TWO PICTURES SHOW BOTH SIDES OF THE SAME BRIDGE. THE TOP PICTURE GIVES THE BEST IMPRESSION OF THESE BRIDGES
WHEN THEY WERE NEW, ALL IN STONE ALTHOUGH HERE THE ARCH HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH ENGINEERING BRICK. THE STONE DID
NOT PROVE TO BE TERRIBLY HARD WEARING.

THE OTHER SIDE LOOKS LIKE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BRIDGE AS ALL THE STONE HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH BRICK; THIS MUST BE THE
SIDE THAT FACES THE WORST OF THE WEATHER.


BRIDGE 2

THIS BRIDGE IS THE OPPOSITE, RETAINING THE ATTRACTIVE STONE ARCH BUT HAVING EVERYTHING ELSE REPLACED IN BLUE BRICK.

BRIDGE 3

FINALLY, IN THIS INSTANCE THE MAIN STRUCTURE OF THE BRIDGE IS NOW BRICK, BUT THE WING WALLS ARE STILL THE ORIGINAL STONE. 


BRIDGE 4

luff 1

LUFF 2

LUFF 3

LUFFENHAM   OPENED  20/3/1848 TO GOODS, 1/5/1848 TO PASSENGERS. CLOSED TO GOODS 4/5/1964, TO PASSENEGRS 6/6/1966. LNWR BRANCH OPENED 2/6/1851, CLOSED 6/6/1966.  STATION BUILDINGS DEMOLISHED IN 1983.

REMAINS AT SITE: SIGNAL BOX, ROW OF RAILWAY COTTAGES.

BY THE TIME I VISITED LUFFENHAM ALL THAT REMAINED WAS THE SIGNAL BOX & A ROW OF RAILWAY COTTAGES BEYOND THE LEVEL CROSSING. A HAULAGE FIRM IS BASED IN THE STATION YARD.




LUFF 4

THE PUSH AND PULL FOR SEATON LEAVING LUFFENHAM IN THE MID 1960's.




LUFF 6

TWO EDWARDIAN POSTCARD VIEWS OF THE STATION.


LUFF 7

LUFF 8

A RAINY DAY AT LUFFENHAM; THE LOW PLATFORMS REMAINED UNTIL THE END.


LUFF 9

LUFF 10

LUFF 18

LUFF 20

LUFF 19


LUFF 11

THE STATION KEPT MANY MIDLAND SIGNALS RIGHT UP TO CLOSURE. THE SEATON MOTOR TRAIN APPROACHES FROM STAMFORD.


LUFF 12

LUFF 13

LUFF 14

THE FOLLOWING PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN 1984.

LUFF 15

LUFF 16

LUFF 17

LUFF 21

LUFF 23

LUFF 24

LUFF 25

LUFF 26

LUFF 27

Bewteen Luffenham and Ketton were the following sidings (with thanks to Roger West for this information):

LUFFENHAM IRON Co.  FOSTER'S BRIDGE & LUFFENHAM SIDINGS.

Foster's bridge signal box and sidings were on the north side of the main line three quarters of a mile east of the station,
and the nearby but separate sidings on the south side were extended out of the up loop at Luffenham - both were for the
sole use of the Luffenhamn Iron Co. 

The company was formed in 1919 to work limestone and other minerals, much of which went to Kettering furnaces. Much of
the land was leased from Ancaster estates.

FOSTER'S BRIDGE
The sidings and signal box opened in 1919 and closed in 1931. The sidings and box remained in place until removal in 1939. 
Trains of 15 to 20 wagons a day left the sidings for Kettering. 

LUFFENHAM SIDING
Installed probably in 1920, out of the exisitng up loop at Luffenham station. The siding was used to remove limestone 
brought in lorries from nearby quarries. In 1923 a tarmac plant was opened at the site, but all was out of use by 1930.

No plans of these sidings have been found as the OS revisions did not cover the period when they were in use, and no photo's have been discovered. 





*********************************************************************************************






Copyright (c)2012 THE SYSTON AND PETERBOROUGH RAILWAY & JustHost.com